Hot dogs are a staple of summer barbecues and backyard gatherings. But why settle for just a plain hot dog on a bun when you can elevate your experience with the perfect side dish?
From classic coleslaw to creative twists like pasta salad, there are plenty of options to choose from. In this article, we’ll showcase 10 delicious side dishes that are sure to impress at your next hot dog feast.
Notes When Choosing Hot Dogs Side Dishes
- Variety of flavors: When it comes to side dishes for hot dogs, the sky’s the limit. You can choose from a variety of flavors, including tangy, sweet, savory, and spicy. This allows you to cater to different tastes and preferences, making your hot dog feast a crowd-pleaser.
- Healthy options: While hot dogs may not be the healthiest option, you can balance out your meal by serving healthy side dishes. Consider serving a mixed green salad, roasted vegetables, or a quinoa salad to add some nutrient-rich options to your spread.
- Grilled options: Grilling is the perfect way to cook hot dogs, so why not take advantage of the heat and grill your side dishes as well? Try grilling corn on the cob, peaches, or even pineapple for a smoky and delicious addition to your hot dog meal.
- Dips and spreads: Dips and spreads are another great options for hot dog side dishes. Offer a variety of condiments like salsa, guacamole, or hummus for your guests to try. You can also make your own spreads, like a homemade spicy mayo or garlic aioli, for a unique twist.
- Make ahead options: If you’re hosting a large gathering or just want to simplify your meal prep, consider making your side dishes ahead of time. Dishes like pasta salad, coleslaw, and potato salad can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Complement Your Hot Dog with These Tasty Side Dish Options
1. Classic Coleslaw
Coleslaw is a tangy and crunchy side dish that adds a cool and refreshing contrast to hot dogs.
It’s typically made with shredded cabbage, carrots, and a dressing made from mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar.
To add some extra flavor, you can add grated onion, celery, and diced red pepper to the mix.
2. Potato Salad
Potato salad is a classic side dish for hot dogs, made from boiled and diced potatoes, mayonnaise, mustard, and chopped pickles or onions.
You can add a little bit of diced celery or hard-boiled eggs for some extra crunch.
To make the salad even more interesting, try adding some herbs like parsley, dill, or chives, or a dollop of sour cream for a tangy twist.
3. Pasta Salad
Pasta salad is a filling and flavorful side dish that can be customized to your liking. Cook up some rotini or penne pasta, and then mix in diced vegetables, like cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and red peppers, and a dressing made from olive oil, vinegar, and spices. Add some cubed cheese or grilled chicken for a protein boost.
4. Baked Beans
Baked beans are a sweet and smoky side dish that is perfect for hot dogs. They are made by slow-cooking navy or cannellini beans in a sauce made from ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, and spices like cumin and chili powder. Serve them hot, topped with some shredded cheese, diced onions, and bacon bits, if desired.
5. Corn on the Cob
Corn on the cob is a summertime staple that’s perfect for hot dogs. Grilled or boiled, it adds a sweet and crunchy element to your meal. You can season it with herbs, spices, or melted butter before serving, or serve it with a dollop of garlic butter or herb-infused olive oil.
6. Fruit Salad
For a refreshing and healthy option, consider serving a fruit salad with your hot dogs. Mix together a variety of cut-up fruit, such as watermelon, strawberries, and blueberries, and top with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a drizzle of honey. This dish is sure to please kids and adults alike.
7. Roasted Corn
Roasted corn is another grilled option that adds a sweet and smoky flavor to your hot dog feast. Simply husk fresh corn, brush with olive oil, and roast on the grill until tender and charred. Serve with a sprinkle of chili powder and a squeeze of lime juice for a southwestern twist.
8. Chips and Salsa
Chips and salsa are simple but satisfying side dishes for hot dogs. Serve a variety of chips, such as tortilla, potato, or corn chips, with a variety of salsas, such as mild or spicy, chunky or smooth. This dish is perfect for dipping and snacking.
9. Grilled Veggies
Grilled vegetables are a nutritious and tasty side dish for hot dogs. Slice up some zucchini, bell peppers, and onions, brush with olive oil, and grill until tender. Serve with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, or with a balsamic glaze for a sweet and tangy flavor.
10. Pickle Spears
Pickles are a classic side dish for hot dogs, and they add a tangy crunch to your meal. Serve them whole or sliced, and consider offering a variety of flavors, such as dill, garlic, or spicy.
When it comes to hot dogs, the options for side dishes are endless. From classic options like potato salad and coleslaw to more unconventional choices like pasta salad and roasted corn, there’s something for everyone.
So whether you’re looking for a traditional accompaniment or something a little more unique, these 10 delicious side dishes are sure to elevate your hot dog game. So next time you’re grilling up some hot dogs, consider pairing them with one of these side dishes for a complete and satisfying meal.