A meat tenderizer, sometimes called a meat mallet, is a kitchen utensil used to tenderize slabs of meat in preparation for cooking. Tenderizers usually consist of a flat surface and a heavy object. The flat surface is often made of wood or metal, and the heavy object is often made of metal or stone.
Tenderizers are commonly used to prepare tougher cuts of meat. When cooked, tougher cuts of meat are typically much more difficult to chew and swallow than other cuts. Tenderizing meat makes it easier to chew and swallow.
Tenderizers come in many shapes and sizes. Some are small enough to fit in the palm of your hand while others are large enough to cover an entire kitchen table. The size of the tenderizer depends on how much meat the user needs to tenderize at one time. The larger the tenderizer, the quicker it will be able to complete the job.
- What Are Meat Tenderizers Used For?
- 10 Best Meat Tenderizers Reviewed
- 1. KitchenAid Gourmet Meat Tenderizer
- 2. Jim Beam Meat Tenderizer with Soft Grip
- 3. NEW OXO Good Grips Meat Tenderizer
- 4. OXO SteeL Dishwasher Safe Meat Tenderizer
- 5. Update International (AMT-10) Cast Aluminum Meat Tenderizer
- 6. Chef Craft Select Meat Tenderizer
- 7. Ankevin Meat Tenderizer Dual-Sided Nails Meat Mallet
- 8. Restaurantware Met Lux Meat Tenderizer
- 9. Winco Wood Handle Meat Tenderizer
- 10. WINCO Aluminum Meat Tenderizer
- Features To Look For When Buying A Meat Tenderizer
What Are Meat Tenderizers Used For?
The purpose of meat tenderizers is to break down the tough fibers and connective tissue found in meat. There are several different methods of meat tenderization, some of which include pounding the meat with a mallet, slicing the meat into thin strips or soaking it in an acidic marinade.
The most common method of tenderizing involves using a powdered enzyme called bromelain, which comes from the pineapple plant. This enzyme can be found in powder form or as an ingredient in marinades or other commercially prepared products. The idea behind using this enzyme is that it helps to soften the connective tissue without changing the flavor of the meat itself.
10 Best Meat Tenderizers Reviewed
1. KitchenAid Gourmet Meat Tenderizer
This is the best meat tenderizer if you’re looking for a multipurpose tool. The KitchenAid Gourmet Meat Tenderizer lets you tenderize, flatten, and pound meat. It’s made of aluminum construction with a texturized surface on one side and a smooth side on the other. The texturized surface is perfect for making cuts in your meat to tenderize it, while the smooth side is great for pounding out chicken breasts or flattening steaks. There are also two different sizes of spikes on the texturized side, to help break up tough muscle fibers depending on how thick your piece of meat is.
The KitchenAid Gourmet Meat Tenderizer comes with a storage case that lets you keep your kitchenware fresh and clean in between uses. Plus, this case holds both sides together so you can store it as one piece instead of having to worry about keeping track of two separate pieces! This model has an ergonomic handle for easy use and dishwasher safe cleaning so clean-up time won’t be too much trouble either!
What we liked:
- Texturized side lets you make cuts for tenderizing meat
- Ergonomic handle for comfortable use
- Two spikes to choose from depending on the thickness of your meat
2. Jim Beam Meat Tenderizer with Soft Grip
Jim Beam Meat Tenderizer with Soft Grip can be used for both tenderizing and flavouring your meat, and it is guaranteed to give delicious results. It has a textured surface and a smooth one, so you can choose the best option for your meat.
The professional grade quality of this meat grinder will ensure that you get even cooking every time you use it. This means that you won’t have to add any extra ingredients in order to compensate for unevenness – this product will take care of it all for you.
It’s also easy to use, which means there is no need to worry about how long it takes or whether or not there are other people who need help when handling the grinder itself. The convenience of this machine is unmatched by any other on the market today!
The storage compartment makes sure that everything stays organized so nothing gets lost in transit; thus allowing users an easier time when making dinner plans later on down the line as well
What we liked:
- Textured and smooth surfaces for both tenderizing and flavouring
- Ergonomic handle for comfortable use
- Compact storage case makes it easy to find when it’s time to eat
- Capable of different sizes for grinding smaller or larger pieces of meat
3. NEW OXO Good Grips Meat Tenderizer
If you’re looking to flatten and tenderize your meat, the OXO Good Grips Meat Tenderizer is a great buy. It has an ergonomic design that helps keep your hands safe while using this tool.
This two-in-one comes with a textured side for tenderizing, and a flat side for pounding the meat. The pyramid shaped teeth on the textured side of this model are specifically designed to create optimum tenderness in your meat.
The smooth side works to maximize surface area so you can get your meat nice and flat, fast! This model also features an angle and weight that’s optimized for efficient flattening as well. The soft grips will ensure safety in wet or slippery hands so no one ends up going to the ER after trying to be adventurous with their cooking!
This tool is made from high-quality BPA-free ABS plastic featuring an impact resistant core steel construction that can last for years of use.
This product is dishwasher safe so you can sanitize it easily unlike other models where you have to wash by hand.
What we liked:
- Ergonomic design for safe use
- Textured and flat surfaces for tenderizing and flattening steaks
- Pyramid shaped teeth on the textured side to create a tenderized meat
- Soft grips prevent slipping in the hands while working with this tool
4. OXO SteeL Dishwasher Safe Meat Tenderizer
The handle fits comfortably in your hand and is non-slip. The handle also detaches from the main body, making cleaning easy. It’s safe to put in the dishwasher, or you can wash it in warm water with a mild detergent. Dry thoroughly after washing so the meat doesn’t stick to the surface of the tenderizer.
The OXO Steel Meat Tenderizer is one of the best meat pounders on our list. Its solid aluminum construction and sharp prongs are ideal for tough cuts of beef, mutton, pork, chicken and more. It will easily get through thick joints of meat and make them thin enough to cook faster and more evenly. This meat tenderizer is also great for breaking down fibers prior to marinating meats to ensure they’re well-flavored right through.
What we liked:
- Solid aluminum construction and sharp prongs for a fast and even cut
- Use for beef, pork, mutton, chicken, as well as vegetables like fish, vegetables, fruit and mushrooms
- Detachable handle that’s safe to put in the dishwasher or wash by hand
- Nonslip grip allows for easy use with wet or slick hands
- Keeps meat tenderized while being cooked
- Will not rust after heavy duty use
5. Update International (AMT-10) Cast Aluminum Meat Tenderizer
If you’re looking for a meat tenderizer that provides the perfect tool for such occasions, then this one from Update International is your go-to. Its cast aluminum meat tenderizer will give and take a pounding and turn out beautiful tenderized cuts every time.
Update International (AMT-10) Cast Aluminum Meat Tenderizer is constructed of a single, cast aluminum piece so you’ll never have to worry about anything flying off the handle. It features both coarse and flat prongs, making it useful for both meat and poultry. And, if you want to make sure that it’ll fit in your kitchen drawer, it measures 10 inches long.
The stainless steel handle is also well put together and comes with a non-slip grip, which is perfect for using both wet and dry hands. This meat tenderizer also comes with a plastic storage case that helps keep everything neat and orderly. Not only is this the best meat tenderizer on our list, but it’s the best cast aluminum meat tenderizer out there too!
What we liked:
- Cast aluminum construction for durability and ease of cleaning
- Both coarse and flat prongs make it useful for both meat and poultry
- Stainless steel handle with non-slip grip is perfect for wet or dry hands
- Solid plastic storage case keeps all the pieces together
- Mounts in your kitchen drawer!
- Comes with a plastic storage case that keeps everything safe and well organized
6. Chef Craft Select Meat Tenderizer
For a more traditional, yet still modern, piece of equipment we recommend this Chef Craft Select Meat Tenderizer. The one-piece aluminum construction is both durable and sturdy. It measures 9 inches in length, which is perfect for tenderizing larger pieces of meat like steaks and chicken breasts.
If you are looking for a simple device to soften the fibers in your meat to make it easier to chew, then look no further than this Chef Craft Select Meat Tenderizer. It works great on almost any type of meat from beef and pork to chicken and turkey.
To preserve long-lasting quality we recommend only hand washing this product when cleaning it after use.
What we liked:
- One-piece cast aluminum construction
- Measures 9 inches long
- Great for tenderizing steaks, chicken breasts and other larger pieces of meat
- Offers a traditional feel to make your food taste better
- Non slip handle for easy use of wet or dry hands
- Hand wash only when cleaning after use
7. Ankevin Meat Tenderizer Dual-Sided Nails Meat Mallet
The Ankevin Meat Tenderizer, the only dual-sided tenderizer on this list, was made to infuse flavor into your meat and break down tissue through its 48 sharp stainless steel blades. This can also be used to make cracks in the skin of chicken or duck for maximum crispiness. The blades are high quality and durable, so you don’t have to worry about them dulling after a few uses, but if you do end up with any issues with your blade quality Ankevin offers a lifetime warranty!
This product is built for comfortability; Its ergonomic design is perfect for daily use and its rubber handle guarantees a strong grip that won’t slip out of your hand. If you’re looking for something different than a traditional mallet tenderizer Anekin has got you covered.
What we liked:
- Extra sharp stainless steel blades are great for breaking down tissue and cracks in chicken skin
- The ergonomic design is perfect for daily use
- Built with a rubber handle that will not slip out of your hand
- Measures 10 inches long
- Lifetime warranty on the blades so you’ll continue to get the maximum hardness and brightness from this product
- High-quality construction that won’t dull and break out of shape after a few uses
8. Restaurantware Met Lux Meat Tenderizer
The Met Lux Meat Tenderizer is the tool you need to make a tough cut of meat tender and juicy. This meat tenderizer features a stainless steel mallet with a flat, grid-like surface on one end and a pointed hammering end on the other.
Its stainless steel construction makes it easy to clean, while its mirrored finish adds an elegant touch to your culinary setup. The Met Lux Meat Tenderizer has won numerous awards for its ability to tenderize meat in an efficient manner.
The Met Lux Meat Tenderizer is made from stainless steel and can be used with dry or wet hands. If you’re looking for a versatile, lightweight and easy-to-clean companion for your kitchen, this is the perfect accessory.
The handle provides you with a secure grip as you work. You’ll be able to soften beef brisket and pound chicken breasts in no time at all with this 2-sided meat mallet. Plus, it’s dishwasher safe for quick cleanup after use!
What we liked:
- The only 2-sided meat mallet on our list
- The flat, grid-like surface is great for cuts of meat that require tenderization and softening
- The pointed hammering end is perfect for pounding chicken breasts and other boneless meats
- Stainless steel construction makes it easy to clean and won’t rust or chip over time
- The ergonomic handle is easy to grip and will not slip out of your hand or become uncomfortable to use over time.
9. Winco Wood Handle Meat Tenderizer
Winco Wood Handle Meat Tenderizer is manufactured by Winco and is a great tool to have in your restaurant or kitchen. Winco is a trusted and reliable brand in the foodservice industry.
Winco products are made to meet the high demands of a commercial kitchen. Winco products are used by all foodservice and hospitality industry experts worldwide. Good quality product at a reasonable price. The handle is very sturdy and it is made out of a solid piece of hardwood. The handle, mallet, and head are all one piece. The hammering end has a plastic guard around it. The guard helps to reduce damage to surfaces or your hand when using the tenderizer.
The hammer/mallet head is made out of stainless steel. The head has a flat side for pounding meat and the other end has many razor-sharp prongs for tenderizing meat.
What we liked:
- Made in the USA and meets high sanitation standards
- Sturdy, wood handle makes this product a durable tool
- Stainless steel hammering end is extremely sharp and will break down the fibers of meat for easy chewing
- One piece construction for maximum durability
- Protective plastic guard to reduce damage to your hand when using the tenderizer
- Easy to store in a drawer in small spaces when not in use
- Made by a trusted brand with great reviews from foodservice professionals worldwide.
10. WINCO Aluminum Meat Tenderizer
WINCO Aluminum Meat Tenderizer is made of aluminum and comes with a plastic handle which makes it very easy to use. It also has a 3-sided top which makes it easy to use. You can use the same tool on all sides of your meat, so you do not have to worry about getting another tool for this job. It measures 10.75” x 3” x 2.5” and weighs 1 pound, so it is not too big or too small for your kitchen needs.
The product is dishwasher safe and hence you can easily clean it after every use without any hassle. This product comes with a one year warranty from the manufacturer against any manufacturing defects or issues with workmanship, so if you find anything wrong with this product, then you can contact the manufacturer directly for further assistance in getting the product repaired or replaced without incurring any additional costs whatsoever.
What we liked:
- Made of hard aluminum for great durability
- Durable plastic handle for easy gripping
- 3-sided top makes it easy to use the same tool on all sides of the meat, so you don’t have to buy another tool to do this job
- Comes with a one year warranty from the manufacturer against any manufacturing defects or issues with workmanship.
Features To Look For When Buying A Meat Tenderizer
A meat tenderizer is an essential tool for any kitchen. If you’re in the market for one, look no further—we’ve got you covered.
Here are some features to consider as you make your purchase:
- The number of blades or tines: Standard meat tenderizers have between 30 and 50 blades per unit. The more blades there are, the finer the resulting texture will be, so think about what types of meat you’ll be using most frequently and choose accordingly.
- The length of the blades or tines: Standard blade lengths range from 2 inches to 5 inches in length, and tine lengths are between 1 inch and 4 inches long. Longer blades or tines will produce a finer texture than short ones will, but they also require more effort to use properly, so again, think about what types of meat you’ll be using most frequently and choose accordingly.
- The material used to make the blades or tines: Stainless steel is the most common metal for these parts because it resists corrosion and is easy to clean; however, if you’re looking for something extra-special (and don’t mind spending a little extra on upkeep), then titanium might be just what you’re looking for! Titanium blades are extremely durable and come with a clean, smooth finish, but they’re also expensive to buy.
- The material used to make the handle: Most tenderizers have a hard plastic handle that is easy to grip and simple to clean, but if you want something more “fancy”, look for one that has a wooden handle or even an ergonomic handle for extra comfort.
- The weight of the tenderizer: Since these tools are often used by people who only occasionally cook at home, it can be helpful to have one that’s not too heavy to move around.
- The number of prongs on the prong tenderizer: Some models include a prong in addition to the blades or tines. The prong is used to stab cuts in your meat so that the blades or tines can work their magic (instead of cutting your meat with its sharp edges).
1. What are the most common uses for meat tenderizers?
The most common use of meat tenderizer is to soften the texture of tougher cuts of meat. Tenderizing meat works best if you use a low-temperature cooking method such as braising, slow cooking or stewing.
2. How should I store my meat tenderizer?
Keep meat tenderizer in a cool, dark place and away from heat sources. You can store it in your pantry or kitchen cabinet.
3. How much meat tenderizer should I use?
Follow the directions on your product package. Some brands suggest using 1/2 teaspoon of powder or 1 tablespoon of liquid per pound of meat.
4. Which meats are best to use with a meat tenderizer?
Steaks, roasts, briskets and tough cuts of lamb, pork or veal are all good candidates for meat tenderizers. You should avoid using it on delicate cuts like fish or shellfish, which can break apart during cooking. Also, you should avoid using it on poultry because of the risk of salmonella.
5. What are the benefits of using a meat tenderizer?
Using a meat tenderizer can save you time and money in cooking tougher cuts of meat without sacrificing any flavor or texture. It also helps prevent overcooking, which can lead to foodborne illnesses.
Meat tenderizer is a good product in that it can be used to prepare any meat more deliciously. It is not like real meat without tenderizing. The thing with shopping online is you get access to an abundance of products such as meat tenderizers and if you choose right, the result is always satisfying.